Dr John Thornback
A globally experienced senior Board level executive with particular expertise in
- Identifying and enabling strategy for start-up companies
- Streamlining existing organisations to leverage commercial value
- Overseeing the change from public research organisation to private company.
- CEO of companies in Asia, Europe and N. America.
- Raising money in N. America, Asia and Europe.
- Identifying value of new opportunities that have potential to move businesses to a new level
- Operational expertise in commercialisation of in vivo and in vitro molecular and immunodiagnostics
- Establishment and oversight of research and development of in vivo and in vitro molecular and immunodiagnostics.
Dr Thornback was educated at Imperial College London where he graduated with 1st Class Honours in Chemistry and followed up with a Ph.D, in Inorganic Chemistry with Prof. Sir Geoffrey Wilkinson, Nobel Laureate at the same institution. He then held several academic posts at University of London and Loughborough University in UK he joined industry as Head of Radiopharmaceutical R&D for Medgenix SA, in Belgium, one of Europe’s first biotech companies. He subsequently took senior positions within sales and marketing and general management which has led to 28 years of diagnostic industry experience in executive management, including CEO positions in Canada, UK and Singapore. He has raised start up funding for a number of companies and changed large public research centres to successful private enterprises by maintaining academic excellence but delivering commercial targets. He has created senior management teams in both N.America, Europe and Asia and managed companies through to exit, including trade sale and JV. Commercially, he has identified, negotiated and implemented key commercial partnerships and technology licencing deals that radically improved the businesses and developed healthy pipelines of products and established route to market through global commercial networks.
He has been Non Executive director of commercial and government enterprises since 2004 as well as a member of Scientific Advisory Boards and professional organisations maintaining strong links and networks to academic and scientific communities.
He was latterly Managing Director of Apta Biosciences Pte Ltd in Singapore, an adviser to A*Star, the Singapore Biotechnology hub and a Director of the Centre of Probe Development and Commercialisation(Hamilton, Canada) .
He has published more than 100 original scientific articles, more than 20 patents and has co-written one book along with numerous presentations and abstracts at scientific conferences.